Vilamoura Weather in April
Weather in Vilamoura in April
The average temperature during April in Vilamoura is only 15ºC (59ºF) but daily high temperatures can easily reach 20ºC, so expect warm days. The low temperature average is about 11ºC, a bit better than March but still chilly at night. The highest recorded temperature in April was 30ºC in 2014 and the lowest 6ºC in 1994.
The Portuguese have an old saying “Abril águas mil” which literally translates to “April thousand waters”, meaning expect wet weather in April. The average is 11 days of rainfall in April. For the past few years the Algarve has experienced a drought and in reality the numbers have been much lower. In April 2021 the Algarve had 7 days of rainfall mostly short sharp showers that quickly cleared up.
At the end of March (on the last Sunday) clocks go forward one hour in Portugal, meaning you will get an average of 9 hours of sunshine in Vilamoura. The sun sets at approximately 8pm in Vilamoura, great for some cocktails at sunset before dinner.
Sea temperature increases with the spring season but will probably still too cold for most people. The average sea water temperature in Vilamoura is 16ºC (61ºF). A few water sports and boat trips are available during April weather permitting. Note that the beaches in April will not have life guards on duty until the summer season starts in June.
UV Index during April is expected to be 7 which is high. Extra protection is a must: wear hat and sunglasses, seek shade and apply SPF30+ suncream.
What´s Vilamoura like in April
April in Vilamoura signals the end of low-season and the Easter week is usually very busy. The golf courses will start to fill-up and any businesses that closed over the winter will definitely be open by Easter. Attractions such as Zoomarine or Aqua Show will be open. Accommodation prices are higher during this period but you can still find good deals before or after Easter. Note that Good Friday and Easter Sunday are important Catholic Holidays in Portugal and some shops will be closed on these days (Easter Monday is not a holiday in Portugal).
What to wear in April
Vilamoura weather in April can be a little unpredictable but you should definitely bring summer clothing. Be sure to bring a few light jackets for the evenings or the occasional rainy day. Don’t forget beach wear although the water might still be cool, you can still enjoy sunbathing by the beach or the pool.
Things to do in Vilamoura in April
- Casino: have dinner and watch a live show before trying your luck
- Try some of the traditional Easter dishes: Cabrito no Forno, Folar de Olhão and chocolate covered almonds
- Boat trips (Vilamoura weather permitting)
- Perfect time for a tour of the Algarve interior, especially nice of the almond trees are in full blossom
- Visit Olhão and the Ria Formosa Islands
- Hire a car and visit the west coast
- Take a day trip to Lisbon: get the train, bus or a guided tour. Explore the country’s capital and one of Europe’s coolest cities.
- Visit one of the parks: Zoomarine, Lagos Zoo, Aqua Show or the local Mini Golf Park
- Visit local flea markets: Quarteira on Wednesdays and Loulé Gypsy and Historical Market every Saturday
Vilamoura Events in April
- Easter Holidays
- 25th April – Revolution Day (one of the most important holidays in Portugal)
- 2022 Events to be confirmed